Goodbye For Now (John 15.9-17)

 


I’ve always been a bit of a sensitive soul. I love spending time with people. I love seeing my friends, one of the things that drew me most into ordained ministry was the community side of it. Being with people in their time of need, in their joys and their sorrows. The worst part of any relationship for me is saying goodbye.

I’ve always hated saying goodbye. Often when I leave my friends or family, I have to go quickly, shoot off, and not say too much, because if I do I find myself starting to sob. When someone visits me from far away, I just can’t do the thing when you stand on the doorstep and wave them off, it upsets me too much.  

When I was a boy, we used to go and visit my grandparents who lived near Whitby, and when it came to saying goodbye it was awful. I tell you it made the wailing and gnashing of teeth scenes from revelation look like a holiday picnic. I would get into the car and start crying because I didn’t want to go. Grandma would start because she didn’t want us to go either. Then Mum would start crying, then Dad would. It was such a circus. We’d all be there in the car sobbing together, I’m sure it was quite the sight.

I often wonder if there were tears from the disciples? Perhaps they got left out because men aren’t supposed to cry, and other such ridiculously toxic ideas.

This reading is actually quite emotional. It’s from just after the Last Supper, it’s towards the end of a very long and quite emotional section of teaching that Jesus does in John’s Gospel. He’s saying goodbye to his friends. He’s explaining and describing what it means to follow him and warning the disciples about what’s to come.

Jesus is saying goodbye for now. The for now bit is important, because he assures them he has place for them, set out and ready. Earlier on there was the famous quote we often use at funerals ‘I go ahead of you… In my Father’s house are many mansions, or dwelling places… I go to prepare a place for you.’ Did you notice the word ‘Abide’ keeps coming up over and over again in this section. Abide in me. Abide. Not only is Jesus saying goodbye for now, he’s also teaching us about following him. About what abiding means.

Before this he’s spoken about important things, it goes a little like this, seriously abridged of course. Someone’s going to betray me. *cough* Judas. Peter, you will deny me. Don’t be afraid. You still don’t know me. And then finally the Gospel reading we had last week all about the vines. “Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me.”

He tells the disciples that the Holy Spirit will come and guide them. He tells them not to be afraid, that he will be with them. That he is the way, the truth and the life. That those who come to Him find God, abundance and safety.

I honestly couldn’t have a better passage to preach about on my final Sunday here, because in this section he sums up all of his teaching and what it all means, as he prepares to leave them. What is it he tells them to do? Love.

That’s it. Love is the fulfilment of everything, the meaning of everything, everything we should pursue. It’s what the law means, it’s what Jesus means, it is the foundation, the cornerstone of everything we believe. Love.

Jesus says that he’s told them all these things about bearing good fruit, about being good disciples, that he prepares a place for them, but that all of this comes out of a place of love. That if they keep these commandments with love in their hearts, then they abide in him.

“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”

The law of God, the commandments of God are important, but if they’re not done with and through love, they are meaningless. If the law, the Bible, our Faith isn’t interpreted through love, it becomes just another worldly thing. That seeks after power, prestige and exploits minorities.

So what’s our task? To live lives filled with the love of God. Because the fruits of love last forever.

“You are my friends if you do what I command you.”

Jesus commands us to love. One of the things I keep having to explain to people, particularly in my generation, and those who have no contact with church is that Christianity isn’t a purity cult. It’s not about us, it’s about Jesus. It’s not about purity, it’s about salvation. It’s not about the Law, it’s about grace. It’s not about being ethically superior to anyone, just because we’re Christians doesn’t mean we’re more moral or upright than others. We only need to spend five minutes looking at our own history to see that. And it certainly is not about any form of hate, it’s about… Anyone? The Love of God revealed to us in Jesus Christ our Lord.

We’ve not been made to be purity robots, to not feel things. Purity, ethics, good works, they’re all important, but they’re not what saves us, and they’re not unique to us. What is unique is the love of God. That’s what saves us.

As I leave you, as I say goodbye for now, just keep loving each other, even the ones that really annoy you. Work out together how you can love the community outside the church. How you can love this place even more.

Because that’s the fruit that will last, that’s what will enable this church to go on into the next generation. It’s up to you. The fruits of love. We’ve been appointed to share those fruits.

I leave you with a quote from the letter to the Corinthians.

“Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;  it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”  

Friends, thank you for this time here. I’ve truly loved it, and as I go my prayer is that you continue to love, to laugh and to endure, through Him who loves us, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. 

Preached at St John The Baptist Old Lakenham, Norwich. 09/05/2021 

 Photo by cottonbro from Pexels 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountains, Gayness and Transfiguration

That's Not Fair! (Matthew 20.1-16, Parable of the Workers)

Cheesy Miracles And Other Jay Hulme Things